Welcome to the University of Alberta Formula Racing team! We are an interdisciplinary team of students that designs and builds a single-seater, formula style race car to compete in the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) International Formula SAE Collegiate Design Competition. Our team is entirely student run and operated, and we provide a unique and enriching environment for students to develop vital real-world skills which better equip graduates for the professional world.
What Do We Do?
Formula SAE and Formula Student: Design; Build; Compete
Being part of our Formula Racing team provides a tremendous opportunity for students to:
- Experience working on a multidisciplinary team similar to project teams in the professional world.
- Apply technical knowledge far above the classroom level to a real world design problem.
- Gain hands on experience building their own designs and an understanding of the challenges of moving from a design in an idealized Computer Aided Design (CAD) model to functioning final product in the real world.
- Compete in high intensity, international competitions that are the highlight of our members' undergraduate careers.
- Learn manufacturing and fabrication techniques from basic assembly skills to advanced machining.
The design team is responsible for designing all components on the car and ensuring that all systems are integrated in a cohesive manner that meets the team’s overall goals. The design team is composed of 5 subsystem teams:
- Frame, body, and aerodynamics
- Cockpit, controls, brakes, and safety
The fabrication team is responsible for the building of the car. It is composed of design team members who oversee the manufacturing of the systems and components that they designed, as well as general fabrication members.
The business team is responsible for managing the team’s finances and sponsorships and includes our social media team.
For the 2020 season, Formula SAE is moving back to California, an event the University of Alberta attended from it's inception in the 1990's until the event moved to Lincoln, Nebraska.
While at competition, teams are judged in several categories which are organized into Static and Dynamic events. Static events include Design, Cost, and Business case presentations where industry experts scrutinize every aspect of the car. Dynamic events include Acceleration, Autocross, Skid Pad, Endurance, and Fuel Economy where the car's performance is tested on the track.
Error: Access Token for ualbertafsae is not valid or has expired. Feed will not update.
There's an issue with the Instagram Access Token that you are using. Please obtain a new Access Token on the plugin's Settings page.
If you continue to have an issue with your Access Token then please see this FAQ for more information.